Sunday, November 29, 2009

let the food cravings begin

There’s an ingenious food here called rolex which is basically an omlet wrapped in a flatbread called chapatti. They cost around 1000 shillings, 50 cents, but I’d easily pay double which is saying something if you knew how much a dollar could get you in Uganda.

During Peace Corps training most of my calories were taken in the form of rolex but I’ve yet to find a rolex stand at my site. Of course I could try to make one on my own but I suspect it would be like eating microwave popcorn when you really want movie theater popcorn or even worse, eating off brand cocoa puffs with a kangaroo on the bag.

Aside from rolex cravings I’ve been dreaming of venti pumpkin spice lattes but the closest I can get here is a cup of instant coffee and a bowl of boiled pumpkin. Back in Portland I remember spending $3.50 nearly every day on coffee…this is what the same amount can get you in Uganda:

1 rolex
+
1 Eagle
(the best beer here)
+
4 giant avocados
(I’d suspect growth hormones but it’s just incredibly fertile here)
+
5 tomatoes
+
A bottle of chili sauce
(a necessity here because the food is quite bland)
+
30 minutes of internet
(just enough time to upload a photo on a good day)
+
A stick of roadside meat
+
A decent looking shirt or sweater at the Saturday market

I swear I’m going to be so cheap when I come home. I’m going to be one of those women who save wrapping paper and take classes on how to crotchet your own underwear. So if I find myself back in Portland at least I know I’ll fit in.

2 comments:

  1. Sami!! I love your blog! Hope you are having a fabulous birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sami just wanted you to know that i do read your blog and i truely enjoy it! i enjoy hearing of the things you are seeing and experiencing as much as i know its a very hard journey for you or anyone. you are strong and brave for sticking it out, and you will always be no matter what. no one could ever take the things youve learned from you. i enjoy your sense of humor in your writings. wishing you the best.

    ReplyDelete